MARIE LOUISE GALLAGHER DASKEVICH, 87, of Mansfield, TX,
went to join her beloved husband with our Lord on May 6,
2013. Interment was at the Dallas-Fort Worth National
Marie was born Aug. 9, 1925, in Ranger, TX, to the late
Clarence & Alta Gallagher. She attended Ranger High School
in the Class of 1942. Marie married the late Anthony
"Tut" Daskevich, also of Ranger, in 1946 after his return
from Army service in World War II. Together they raised
four children and for 30 years made their life as an Army
family, serving our nation and enjoying assignments across
the United States and overseas. After retiring from the
service, the couple settled in Mansfield in 1976, becoming
active members of the community and St. Jude Catholic
Church. They were happily together for over 60 years before
Tut's passing in 2006. Marie was a very loving wife and
mother whose most profound joy was in taking care of others,
especially her beloved family. In all ways, she felt her
life to be a truly blessed one, and she celebrated it
every day through giving and sharing.
Marie was preceded in death by her parents; her husband;
and her sisters, Betty Gallagher Bohan (RHS-1945) & Bertha
Gallagher Allen (RHS-1952).
Survivors: her daughters, Lynda Hinds (RHS-1966) & husband,
Ron (RHS-1964), of Arlington and Dorothy Ford and husband,
AD, of Granbury; sons, Anthony & wife, Carolyn, of Leesburg,
VA, and Daniel of Granbury; two grandchildren; six great-
grandchildren; and sisters, Patricia Gallagher (RHS-1957)
of Arlington & Rita Gallagher Parker (RHS-1938) of Katy.
HUSBAND: ANTHONY F. DASKEVICH, 87, of Mansfield, TX
& a retired U.S. Army brigadier general, passed away
peacefully Sept. 19, 2006, surrounded by his wife
and beloved family members. Burial was in Dallas/
Fort Worth National Cemetery.
He was born in Mingus, TX. He entered the U.S. Army
in 1941 and served in Europe during World War II.
His combat decorations include the Distinguished
Service Cross, two awards of the Silver Star, the
Bronze Star and the French Fourragere. He also
twice received the Purple Heart.
He continued his service in the Army for a total of
34 years, rising to the rank of brigadier general.
After his retirement, he continued to serve his
family, community and church in Mansfield, where he
had resided for the past 30 years.
Brig. Gen. Daskevich was a much-loved and respected
man who provided a sterling example of integrity,
dignity and dedicated service to the nation, love
of family and devotion to God.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Valeria and
Joseph Daskevich of Ranger; and brother, Joe Daskevich
Survivors: His loving wife of 60 years, Marie Gallagher
(RHS-1942); his daughters, Lynda Hinds of Arlington and
Dorothy Ford of Granbury; his sons Anthony of Fort Sill,
Okla., and Daniel of Granbury; two grandchildren; five
great-grandchildren; and his sisters, Helen Hood, Louise
McGee, Betty Yeager and Faye Basham, all of Fort Worth.
13 TO BE INDUCTED INTO THE ORDNANCE CORPS HALL OF FAME
Brig. Gen. Anthony F. Daskevich was born and educated in
Mingus, Texas. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joe W. Daskevich
and family moved to Ranger during WWII. He married Marie
Gallagher of the Class of 1942. His father drove a Dr.
Pepper truck. Two sisters went to school at RHS as did
several nieces and nephews. His brother, Joe, attended
RJC and married Gaynell Gideon of Ranger. Tut went into
WWII as a draftee and received a Battlefield Commission.
Tanks. Went in at North Africa, then Italy and then Europe.
DSC, 2 Silver Stars, 3 Purple Hearts.
The Chief of Ordnance announced that 13 individuals will
be inducted into the Ordnance Corps Hall of Fame during
Ordnance Week activities at Aberdeen Proving Ground.
Included in the list are four historical inductees: Maj.
Gen. Waldo E. Laidlaw, Brig. Gen. Donald Armstrong, Dr.
Frank E. Grubbs and Dr. John W. Mauchly.
Contemporary inductees include Gen. John G. Coburn, Maj.
Gen. Chester M. McKeen Jr., Maj. Gen. James W. Monroe,
Brig. Gen. Anthony F. Daskevich, CW4 Jay G. Gruwell,
CSM Billy E. Prysock, Dr. Philip W. Lett, Dr. Rocco
A. Petrone and Dr. Joseph Sperrazza.
The Ordnance Corps Hall of Fame was established in 1969
to recognize and memorialize individuals who made a
positive, significant contribution to the U.S. Army
Ordnance Corps. Its members are honored in a permanent
display in the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving
Anthony F. Daskevich began his Army career as an
enlisted soldier in 1941. Rising through the ranks, he
received a battlefield commission during World War II
and led a tank platoon in combat in the European
Theater. In 1951, following an assignment as a
maintenance officer in Germany, he transferred from
the Armor Branch to the Ordnance Corps and took
command of the 18th Ordnance Medium Maintenance
Company in Germany.
In his next assignment as an instructor for the
Officer Basic and Advanced Courses at the Ordnance
School, he was given responsibility for revising
Field Manual 9-10, the only Army publication dealing
with Direct Support maintenance operations at the
time. Much to his credit, he applied lessons learned
as a maintenance company commander and combat veteran
to update and improve field maintenance doctrine.
Following assignments as Ordnance Advisor to the
Venezuelan Army and as a project officer on the
Ordnance Board, which was subsequently incorporated
into the Maintenance Agency, Combat Developments
Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, he took command
of the 4th Ordnance Battalion (Maintenance and
Supply) in Korea. This battalion integrated all non-
divisional Ordnance, Signal, Engineer Maintenance,
and Quartermaster units in South Korea and was one
the precursors of the multi-functional corps support
battalion. Under his leadership, the 4th Ordnance
Battalion developed the standing operating procedures
necessary for these diverse units to function as a
From 1966 to 1969, he was assigned to Combat
Developments Command, most notably as the project
officer for a Department of Army project known as
Combat Operational Loss and Expenditure Data-Vietnam
(COLED-V). Within three months, he devised a collection
plan and organized teams to collect data on combat
vehicles damaged by enemy artillery and assess artillery
ammunition expenditure rates. The results led to
improvements in vehicle survivability and laid the
groundwork for developing revised ammunition expenditure
Concurrently, he was tapped to support a Department of
Defense project for Utilization and Redistribution of
Material in the Pacific Area (PURM). Here again, he and
his team excelled. Under Lt. Gen. Joseph M. Heiser Jr.ís
guidance, they developed an inter-service plan to
identify and redistribute excess material that, in turn,
helped the government avoid both unnecessary new
procurement and drains on existing depot stocks.
He culminated his career in a number of key assignments:
Commander, Tooele Army Depot, 1969 to 1971; Commander,
VII Corps Support Command, 1971 to 1973, and Deputy
Commanding General, US Army Tank-Automotive Command
(TACOM), 1973 to 1975. At TACOM, he overhauled the
wholesale supply operation, improving stock availability
from 58 to 85 percent, and established a liaison program
with the divisions and separate regiments specifically
designed to address the unitsí readiness problems.
Daskevich retired in 1975 after 34 years of service, 24
of them as an Ordnance officer who made a wide range of
contributions to the Corps.