The college was established in 1926 and by an act of the Forty-First
Legislature, was validated and incorporated as a part of the public
school system of Texas in 1929. It shared space with Ranger High School
until 1948 when the college purchased six buildings from Army bases that
were closed after World War II. The buildings were moved to the campus
of the old Cooper School which housed the college administrative office
as well as classrooms. On August 18, 1950, the Board of Education voted
to separate the Junior College and the public schools. The College is
governed by a Board of Regents and on August 26, 1993, Ranger Junior
College changed its name to Ranger College. It is one of the oldest
public two-year colleges in continuous operation in Texas.
In 1960, a new men's dormitory was built. A new administration, classroom
and science building complex, new gymnasium, and football stadium were
completed in 1964. With expanding enrollment, the West Texas Clinic
building, Paramount hotel, and Joseph apartment building were used as
The National Guard armory was purchased in 1968 and converted into a
student center and cafeteria. In 1972, the new library building was
completed and in 1991, the building that had formerly housed Ranger
General Hospital was added to the school's physical facilities. Two
new dormitories have been added recently.
In 1991, the girl's dance team "The Southern Belles," was added and
has rapidly earned recognition for the quality of its performances.
Ranger College has earned a reputation over the years with its excellent
athletic programs. It boasts of national championships won in baseball
and football with contenders almost each year in track and lady's softball.
During 2001-2002, Ranger College celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
Ranger College uses the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society to recognize
the academic achievement among two-year college students.
First President of the College was Dr. G.C. Boswell. Other individuals
serving as President are: W.W. Smith, R.N. Cluck, Dr. Price R. Ashton,
Dr. Theodore Nicksick, Jr., Dr. W.W. Mince, Dr. Jack M. Elsom, and Dr.
RJC-1934 Football team
RJC-1947 Graduation Class
CPT program at RJC
Ranger College Song
RC Reunion in 2014
Ranger College website